Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Funny Thing

So I'm sitting, watching the movie Definitely, Maybe that I recorded earlier this week. I have seen it before, but not since it came out a year ago...there is a scene where Isla Fisher's character comes into Ryan Reynolds characters apartment, he's a mess and has been in a down spiral for a while, and it's a mess...she looks around, sees the mess and they show the TV, which has Chinese noodles that have been thrown at it and are dripping down it...her comment "I see you've been eating noodles"...and I laughed, loud and long at it. It's weird how things can strike you so strangely at such a weird time.

All this while I was considering today and thinking on life...Valentine's day is one of those days I haven't ever been a big fan of. Surprise, surprise. Let's see, I've had a boyfriend for exactly 4 V-days I think. But even without that, the day in and of itself is just a way out for those that don't express themselves throughout the year. Do a dozen overpriced flowers and a hard to get dinner reservation really make up for a year of not being told things that you should hear everyday? Now I'm not saying that's how it is for everyone, in fact most people I know I don't think actually have that, but it is how a lot of people deal with today. Shouldn't you tell someone you love them everyday? Shouldn't you do little things to show them you love them everyday? Instead of overpriced flowers one day a year, if you know she likes flowers, wouldn't it be a nice thing to buy her even just a nice bouquet from the farmer's market once in a while? How many people really do that?

Anyway, I was thinking earlier too, about soulmates...and how, at least in my mind, soulmates don't have to be a romantic interest. I believe you can have soulmates even of the same sex, if you are not gay. It's just that person you really connect with on a level so beyond anything else. I've had a few friendships like that in my life and it really bums me out that one of them, probably one of the closest I ever had, is one I lost because of someone else's insecurities. How do people let things like that happen? This was a male soulmate and unfortunately his now wife (while they were still dating) didn't like me, not having ever met me, but she felt threatened an he let it end our friendship. What sucks most about it? He was the one that said to me that we should never let a relationship get in the way of our frienship...that anyone we dated would need to be OK with our friendship...ironic that he's the one that let it end huh? Anyway, I hope he's happy. On occasion we chat via places like Facebook, but most often not. Maybe someday I'll write out the story...but I think now I need to crawl into bed. Was up too late last night.

5 comments:

RunToTheFinish said...

yes v day is silly in that people should do nice things all year, but on the other hand at least one day a year people who forget will take the time to make someone feel special.

soulmates...it's interesting because the term is usually referring to some everlasting love. but i agree, i think there are people with your spirit connects on a much deeper level and there is a friendship there that just feels wonderful. i've had a lot of friends come and go over the years which is tough for me because I'm a true blue with you to the end kind of gal once we become friends..ahh life.

teacherwoman said...

I do agree with you and your thoughts in regards to Valentine's Day.

Interesting on the soulmates topic. I never thought of it that way.

Anonymous said...

It is tough to keep a best guy friend when you get married. Maybe someday you'll get to rekindle that friendship.
My guy friend's wife was jealous of me, too - never met, and we live several states away. My friend and I didn't talk for a long time, but recently we've reconnected (via email/fb) and it's like nothing ever changed, really.

Nat said...

It is a "commercial holiday" and I agree with you. Hope your Boston training is going well and this warmer weather helps!

Runner Leana said...

I feel the same way as you about Valentine's Day. Really you should express it any time, not just one a day that Hallmark tells you to.

I know what you are saying about soulmates. I had a really good guy friend and as soon as he got engaged then married I barely heard from him again. I see him every now and again because we actually live in the same city but we definitely don't have the same friendship that we used to. Sad really...