Monday, October 01, 2007

Smoking Ban

Ah what a wonderful day. October 1, 2007, the day Minnesota became state number 17 to go non-smoking. Yes, yes, I realize I’m advocating more government intervention, and government taking away individual businesses rights telling them that they can’t allow smoking, but frankly I’m sick of being told by smokers that if I want to go out (and not just to the bar, but to a lot of restaurants too) I either deal with it or stay home, because there have not been other options until the smoking bans went into effect. I just see it that MN is a state of around 4-5 million people, statistics say there are about 800,000 smokers…so, that equates to about 20% of the population that are happy that bars allow smoking…hmm…is that the majority? Even when I’ve been out in places that allow smoking, I always thought it seemed there were more people not smoking than people that were…just an observation. Since Minneapolis itself passed a ban, I have only been to bars that are non-smoking unless at my parents where there wasn’t an option (now, yippee, there is no more) and just a couple of weeks ago I was at a Country Kitchen restaurant that actually still had a smoking section, and it was bad, even though we were in the non-smoking you could still smell it. It’s such a happy day.

Last Friday, I managed to have a good run again. I went 4 miles. I had only minimal tightness in the hamstring, a little fuss from my knee but nothing too major. I stretched and did things after to keep feeling good, used my foam roller and stick and was a little around bed time, but not bad. I didn’t get a run in on Saturday or Sunday for various reasons, but am hoping to get one tonight. We’ll see. I have a phone conference at 5:30, if I go home and take the call there, I could technically get a run done and still make the call, but part of me is thinking maybe I should take the call from the office…although….now thinking about it, I think I have clothes in my car…and my Garmin…and it wouldn’t be a big deal for me to sit at my desk and take the call after a run….hmm….maybe THAT’S what I’ll do. Then, if I really wanted to, and if the call doesn’t take too long, I could make it to yoga class at L’s studio…although that would be really pushing it and I wouldn’t be in yoga gear as I don’t have that with me….hmm….yoga might have to wait, but I might be jumping into that class later, or, even better, the yoga for runner's when it starts up.

5 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Whoohooo! That's awesome! It will be much cleaner air when I come back home for my birthday. :D

teacherwoman said...

I love that MN went smoke free. I hope ND is close behind. I can't stand going out anymore. There is one restaurant in fargo that has "blocked" off their smoking section (the bar area) by putting in swinging doors. Such a joke. You can smell the smoke when you walk in. YUCK.

Nat said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I just LOVE the smoking ban. It's the greatest thing ever.

JustRun said...

I don't hate smokers (not saying you do, either) but I do hate smoke, so I was just as happy when Colorado passed the law. It's just a lot nicer to come home smelling like yourself (or the garlic you had with dinner) than an ashtray.

Krista said...

I know what you mean - I LOVE LOVE LOVE the no smoking! Now I just wish Wisconsin would pass it so I wouldn't have to tolerate it when I go home :(