Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Marathon Freak Out

I was a little willy nilly on my typing last night. I blame the damn, I mean dam hill I ran with the group. I think I was on the verge of seeing the purple Martians (purported to be seen when carbo depletion is in effect late in distance races!!). Anyway, what I was thinking about all day yesterday, 2 months before marathon date, were my fears of how my training is going (yes, we all get that self-doubt on our training don’t we? But doesn’t that usually wait till taper time?) and if I’m doing the right things. I just don’t feel like I’ve gotten to the level and/or point that I need/want to be at this time.

My long runs have been going well, and the hill workouts I’ve survived, I just haven’t had any speed or tempo workouts (OK, technically they are kind of one and the same but I see intervals in the speed category and tempos as different, and really, they do build different things) that set me over the top. Nothing so far that says, yes, this training is going well and I’m so glad I run. Nothing like the last really great training I had and great marathon time I had, that said yes, you have it in the bag, this is the best run ever and I’m so lucky to be a runner (yes, I had one of those, it was during a rain storm even…one of the best runs I’ve ever had and faster than I had ever expected). I had one good tempo run, like 4 weeks ago now that really helped me feel good about it, the next two sucked, then I had the relay in there and those runs you’d think would have me feeling good (considering I ran 6.7 at a 7:30 pace, which is basically what I’d like my tempo pace to be at right now and then I managed to average 7:37 for 14.6 miles over a period of 18 hours) but while they did at the time, now I’m back to doubts…I’m 8 ½ weeks from marathon date, and I’m questioning everything…and I’m still in heavy, building into even heavier, training mode…shouldn’t that be enough to tell me that I’ve got it and don’t have to worry, still plenty of training time left?

I have one run, just a little over 18 in, that was slower than I’d like, but I did manage some faster miles at the end and average pace was still within the 60-90 seconds per mile slower than race pace you’re supposed to have. I have three 20 milers on the schedule (and one or two will be more than 20) and that’s what I had for my PR marathon, although I did have 2 18 milers in there too, but I think I’m close…mileage is a little lower than for that time around, but I’m at about the same scheduled mileage this week. I think it’s the fact that I have done NO intervals that might make me nervous…and that the tempos I’ve most recently tried have been a bust. I have one on the schedule for tomorrow. Trying to decide if it will be morning or afternoon. Seems the afternoon ones have been better for me, so maybe that’s what I need to do…I have nothing going on till a bit later tomorrow evening anyway, and I can sleep in a little bit then tomorrow (will probably still get up for a light run to loosen up for the afternoon since today I’m taking off and my legs will probably be stiff from the hills by tomorrow).

I think to convince myself of my training I need to really do that compare I was talking about. When I get time I’m going to run from the time I’m at now with training left vs what I did last time and try to adjust…based on finish time then and hoped for finish time now. I wouldn’t be so freaked but I’m putting a lot of pressure on myself to make this goal, my parents are going to be there and I really want to give them a good show, and with that pain in my heel…I did just order a night split and a book called The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution or something along that line on Amazon…both had good reviews…let’s hope they help. I should’ve paid the money and gotten overnight shipping to have it now…hopefully they don’t take too terribly long. Apparently the book is an 8 week thing and the splint people had good success in 7 weeks (some even noticed overnight). I hope…mine is mild still…so hopefully…

3 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Stay positive. I think you are going to do great. If we didn't put a little "pressure" on ourselves, how do we expect to become better?!

JustRun said...

Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. :)
You know this is normal... you are doing great.

Runner Leana said...

Oh Danielle, don't freak out! Your training is going well. If you try to run every run too fast you may wind up reaching burn out point at the marathon. You are doing all the right things and you still have 8 weeks to go. You'll be in good shape for your marathon. Don't worry though, I think the halfway point freak out is fairly common..!