Monday, February 18, 2008

Being Single

I guess I feel the need to clarify about my V-day post. Some of you have been reading my blog maybe for only a short period of time. Up until last spring, I had been single (as in no actual boyfriend, then I met L in May and we dated until last October) for 10 years. Yes, 10 years...no boyfriend, and lots and lots of bad dates. Ok, not all the dates were bad, but there were a number of guys in that time that I would've liked something more with, some I wouldn't have and every range in between. During a lot of that time I was very upset and hated it, desperatly wanting someone...then I finally realized hey, I like my life...I like being single...I enjoy life as it is and I'm very, very needy of my own time. And I took a look at those that were married, realizing that they were not happy. I was definitely more happy than they were, had more freedom, etc. Plus, I've come to the realization that I don't want children. So that makes marriage even less necessary (not that I think you have to be married to have kids, but no way I'd do it myself!). Anyway, all this was fine and good, and then I dated someone, and now I'm dealing with that, while the relationship didn't work, I realized the things that were nice, that were good, and that I do miss. Between that and finding it difficult to get people to get out and do things sometimes...and when the warm weather comes, (heck, right now sometimes it would be nice cuddling in front of the fire and keeping each other warm) there are so many things that it's nice to have someone to do them with. I'm not looking for a marriage, long term or anything like that, but I guess I've realized that I'm back to the point where I was wanting to be with someone...it's what comes when you have been involved with someone. Then of course I partly went on the rant due to the games of a guy...something I haven't blogged about because I'm mad at myself for being stupid about the situation, but what do you do? Someone comes along with the right charm...and of course all my friends point out how stupid this is!! Ah well, but that's where the rant came from. I'm mostly fine with being single, I'm just struggling off and on now due to being out of my happy being single form that I've been in for a while now. And then the lack of decent men out there to date it seems.

2 comments:

Runner Leana said...

I was single for three years before meeting Neil six months ago, and even the relationships before that were pretty short-lived ones so I understand where you are coming from. I liked being single, and I'd take that over a bad relationship, but it got frustrating that it seemed like there were no good fish left in the sea. Sigh. Even still, I still dislike Valentine's Day as it seems like too much of a Hallmark holiday for me and makes single people feel bad for being single and makes attached people feel like on this one day out of the year they have to do something big. Not really my thing...

Kurt said...

Your to good and to beautiful to stay single. I know it is hard but be patient, the right one will come.

I am not a fan of V day for all the reasons Leana said in her post.