Friday, April 21, 2006

Another Rainy One in the Bag

Rainy Runs…

So I had another 10 mile tempo in the rain…but this week is a bit weird anyway. I was exhausted yesterday morning. I just could not get up for a run, so I stayed in bed knowing I was doing 10 at night anyway. Also had something come up that is going to keep me from doing my long run on Saturday. I have planned for 18 miles this weekend…so that leaves me either doing it Friday night or Sunday, well Saturday night I might be out late watching a band play and possibly having a beer, SOOO…I’m doing the run tonight. Yes, I did 10 miles last night but am doing 18 tonight. Normally I do a tempo range with a goal of hitting 8:20 pace, maybe faster, however last night I ran it with my friend Devi, who I haven’t run with in a long time…we had always kind of been on the same pace, but I’ve just thrown myself into this training this time around and I’m a bit faster than her now. We also ran over more hills than what she’s been used to in her training, so while the goal was a 9-9:15 pace for the tempo, we ended up on an average of 9:45…a bit slower than I really would’ve liked to have been running, but again, it’s all good with the fact that I have a long run tonight. I’m flexible and I still have 5 good hard weeks I can put in for my training so I’m fine with the slower and it was worth it to be able to run with a friend again. I do enjoy that sometimes…and what I found out is that at that pace, I had no problem continuously carrying on a conversation, last times we ran together it would get tougher for me later in the run, but I was just as fresh the entire way, so apparently 9:45 pace is definitely easy and comfortable conversation pace for me. Good to know. Did I mention we also had part of our run in the rain?? It was fine till we got back to my place, then it was a bit cold!! It’s funny, Devi was in shorts, a long sleeved top and a jacket, shortly into the run she took off the jacket and was warm. I was in windbreaker pants, a long sleeved top and jacket and I kept the jacket on the whole time…what can I say, I like to be warm…

So tonight I’m doing the 18 miler…at least that is the plan. Saturday I have a class I’ll be in till about 3:45, so technically I could go do my run after, there is enough daylight and it’s supposed to be nice tomorrow (darnit, why am I stuck inside for this??) but I know I won’t be able to fuel well for it, so I’m definitely trying tonight if I get to a point where I can’t finish it, I’ll cut it shorter and go for Sunday, and just take it easier tomorrow night. Always good to have back up plans right??
One thing I'm discovering though, I really need to cut my toenails really often, I have one that for some reason now is always cutting into the toe next to it and causes a bloody foot on my runs...ughh...

1 comment:

Andy Emerson said...

The fact that you've upped your mileage so much is very inspiring to me! I hope to be able to do that sometime this summer. With the extra light, I should be able to do doubles on some days.

I have the same problem if I don't keep my second toenail cut. I have noticed that my toes look a lot happier (can toes really be happy?)than when I first started distance running.