Wednesday, April 26, 2006

WOW!!!

Wow, wow, wow…An incredible run…one of those, yet again…I’m on a roll here. The invincibility, the love of being a runner, the complete and total joy to be out there on the roads, where everything seems just so easy and you can go on forever...Anyway, the temps were in the mid-50s, perfect for a pair of shorts and a light weight long sleeved top. The sun was out, but since it was almost 5 when I started, it wasn’t too hot, on the downswing of its cycle and I just love the way things look in early spring as the green is coming out and the sun is setting, making it look…I can’t even come up with a word to describe it, but it signifies spring to me. Also there was no wind. Zero, zip, nada…it was perfect.

This is a cut back week, average of last 3 weeks was 57 miles, which means I should probably try to stay right at 40 for the week…huh?? Since when was 40 a cut back week and trying to stay at or below that hard?? My last 3 marathons the highest mileage weeks came just over 45, cut backs meant 30 and that was easy to do…I find myself adjusting my mileage each day to try to keep it below even 45 this week…yikes!!

Anyway, I set out for my normal run from home. Loops around the neighborhood, I just never know where or what loops I’m doing….I had cake in the afternoon…last time I had cake in the afternoon I went home and did 10 miles in the rain at an 8:10 pace…well, I had originally been going to do 10 miles, but realized that meant I had to cut out running one other day this week, I’m still going to try, but pushing the mileage the way I have been, I decided 8 was a better number so I was shooting for 8 at an 8:20 or better pace…I hit the first mile in 8:20, that was supposed to be warm up, but it was just feeling so good and I couldn’t wait to get out, so I didn’t do a full mile warmup, I took off when it felt right…this was up some good hills too. :) So I’m running along, enjoying the weather, the smell of the flowers, the book I’m listening to (Mind Prey by John Sandford, am loving his Prey series). I end up running through my marked walk/run/bike path near home and have to stop to say hi to the most adorable chocolate lab puppy. He is tied to a tree with a blanket and some food and a sign that says he was born December 5th and is part of an animal rescue, $50 donation is being asked for him to go home with someone…man, I was soooo tempted, but I can’t have a dog bigger than 20 pounds in my condo…he was just too cute, well worth the 15-20 seconds I lost saying hi. From there I just ran on…things were feeling good pretty much the entire way, sometimes plowing up hills I was even getting that feeling, you know the one (if you’re a runner at least) where you can just go on forever…It’s when I imagine what the Kenyans must feel (even though I’m running about 3 minutes per mile slower than them on an easy training run) and what I picture on their training, running through the wilds of Africa…



Anyway, I did think the last mile felt harder and I was definitely ready to stop, although I know I had at least a couple more in me if I had slowed up a little…turns out mile 8 was a 7:38, no wonder it felt tougher (and that was coming up the longer incline too)…I did have a couple of times where I was feeling the need for deeper breaths, or yawn or something but I managed to work it out without having to stop…overall, incredible run. Now the rest of the week is slow and a cut back week. In fact this morning was only 3 miles (planned but partly cause I overslept) and Saturdays 20 mile long run is with a friend that we’ll probably be averaging 10-10:30 per mile or so pace…this is good…I need a rest week!! And then I can run while Jen is running her marathon and think of her!!

Oh, so the 8 miles, average pace was 8:02…that includes the 20 second puppy stop!! Wow…

2 comments:

mg said...

Dani, you've really been doing some amazing training!

Brooke said...

Your training looks great! Glad you are enjoying so many of your runs. Keep after it. PR is in your very near future!