Sunday, November 26, 2006

Lazy Sunday

Well, not so terribly lazy, I have spent part of the afternoon cleaning my closet out...it was in desperate need and I did manage to remove a few items that I haven't worn in a long time, and was reminded of clothes I have that I so need an opportunity to wear them again!!

Barnes & Noble is annoying me more and more. After the holidays I definitely need to find something in a running store. I will not work another holiday season as B&N. It's just too stressful. Lat night I had to finally request my time off for the holidays. My grandmother, my dad's mom, turns 90 on December 13th. My family is having an open house for her on December 23rd in my hometown and I will be then staying there through Christmas. I told my manager that I had to request the time off from and she looked at the schedule from last year, which she compares to for making up the new ones, and she pointed out that I had had Christmas eve off last year. Yes, I did...I worked the 23rd all day for her in order to have that off too, even though it was my day off at my other job AND I could've gone home and spent the time with family...instead I worked till 4:30 that day. I work there part-time...it's not my end all be all, it's extra money to pay off some bills....that's it...and it was quite annoying to be told this. I told her that my family celebrates on Christmas eve, my church service that I attend is at 4 pm on Christmas eve and my family is 2 1/2 hours drive from where I live...I won't miss Christmas eve with my family and this year I won't be missing my grandmother's birthday party either. If they wouldn't have given me it off, I would've quit. It's just quite annoying. To get the time off we had to "negotiate" and basically I have to sell my soul to the store for the next month, she wanted me to commit to working 3 days a week the rest of the time till Christmas, well, I told her that I can't because of stress going on at my day job, but agreed to work 3 days most of the month...I also know I'll be getting calls requesting me to come in more than the times I'm scheduled. That's the thing that infuriates me the most. I get that call a lot this time of year and almost always agreed to come in...sigh...thing is, I honestly like that manager, it just stresses me that this crap gets pulled...Thank God I managed that 15 miler to help alleviate some stress...and then I got to leave early last night too. I'm heading out for another light easy run today. And woo hoo, looks like my Vikes are going to pull off a wine finally.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG....that's why I will NEVER work retail again during the holidays.

It was a nail biter at the end...but a WIN!

Kurt said...

Your working in retail hell period!

Good way to stick to the running!

Anonymous said...

When you die if you don't go to heaven you have to work retail for eterninty. Great job on the 15 miler. Good luck with your job.

SRR said...

People who work retail during the holidays deserve a special spot in heaven. Bless you! It takes a special person to do what you do!
:-)

Danielle said...

Man, I'm definitely going to work hard to make it to heaven...retail hell for eternity...that would be the worst!!

AZironman - 7th street entry is still there, I haven't been myself, only actually been into 1st Ave. I used to live close to the Warf, got down there occasionally for music...I've always wanted to go to the Nicollet Island Inn. I have to say though, I'd rather be living in AZ...much better climate!!

RR - If that were only so...retail is not fun at holiday time that's for sure...this will be my last season there that's for sure!