Sunday, February 11, 2007

24 Hours

What a difference such a short period of time can make. Two weeks ago, Friday January 26, I ran outside for 14 miles in close to 40 degree temps, by the next day we were in the single digits and/or below 0...and it hasn't warmed up since that time frame. 24 hours, heck, just a few hours time it took to get that cold, now 10 days later, finally a change has come. I went for a 16 mile run yesterday. I so had the days backward, but yesterday at noon I headed out in 2 degrees with -7 or so windchill, 2:27 minutes later and 8 pounds of clothing I made it back without frostbite and and OK feeling run. I was unable to make my goal of negative splits, but I started out too fast as it was:

Mile 1 – 9:03
Mile 2 – 8:47
Mile 3 – 9:03
Mile 4 – 9:07
Mile 5 – 9:33
Mile 6 – 9:02
Mile 7 – 9:02
Mile 8 – 9:10
Mile 9 – 9:09
Mile 10 – 8:49
Mile 11 – 9:06
Mile 12 – 9:09
Mile 13 – 9:23
Mile 14 – 9:30
Mile 15 –9:27
Mile 16 – 9:31

My goal is 9:30 pace for the first half, 8:50 pace for the second half, you can see where it was too fast to start, but oh well. I made it through. I did attempt a speed up, but it just was too hard with that 8 extra pounds I was carrying. The last couple of miles really hurt, but hey, I managed 16 miles...it's the longest run I've done since Marine Corp.

Now today, I headed out for a run right around noon again, the temps at the start were about 16, no real windchill, and I managed to get by with just a light weight top, a slightly heavier top, a windbreaker, my tights, cold weather pants, socks, hat and glittens...I didn't even need the face mask...yay...it's amazing how much better it can feel after running in such cold, just to get above 0...I only did 6 miles, at a 9:04 pace, and a short stop to yell at a dog (I'm so sick of the barking dogs in people's yards, there are barking ordinances and the dog just annoyed me, so I barked back at it...I was almost done with the run...I can be stupid sometimes!!)

Anyway, finished with 41 of the 43 miles I wanted to run this week, it was short on my two mid-week longer runs of 7 and 8 miles which were supposed to be 9 and 9, but that's just how it worked. I had a long work week and I did what I could. Officially tomorrow though, starts my 18 week training program for Grandma's. I still need to find sleeping arrangements...

3 comments:

JustRun said...

Wow, good job getting out in that cold. I can't say I would have done the same, I really can't.

P.S. I have been known to talk to the dogs, as well. :)

Kurt said...

Good job on the training! Not easy weather to train in and I think you should be proud of what you have accomplished with it.

Ginger Breadman said...

Yay for the Grandma's training program starting! Great job getting out in the cold, I don't know how you do it. Know something weird? I ran a 15.5 mile run yesterday, and best I can figure, my pace was within about 3 seconds per mile of yours. We should've run together! Oh, wait - that'd have to be a virtual run, because I didn't have on 8 lbs. of clothes in MN. You're definitely dedicated.