Sunday, December 17, 2006

Revitalization...

Sometimes you just need a run. Sometimes you don't even know that you need the run. Sometimes when you most don't feel like running is the time really you need to do it. Today was kind of one of those days for me. Friday I had done my slow 12 miles, it was cooler than I might have liked, but oh well, and yesterday was a nice day, but I opted to not run, but did get some strength training and then worked last night, so 5 hours on the feet (and avoiding the bad for me cookies and such they had at work for our little food day) running around the store I suppose counts for something. Today I woke up around 9, made my ritualistic Sunday call to my parents, talked to them for an hour, hour and a half, called my sister to let her know I wasn't going to come down to watch the game at her place due to working tonight at 4. I got some more presents wrapped, figured out something I should get one of my grandma's for Christmas (and wish I had thought of it last night in case my store doesn't have it so I can get my extra discount on it, might have to go to work early and hit a different B&N just to be safe or maybe make some phone calls). Anyway, I started watching the game while doing some cleaning and decided I needed to run. I dressed, got myself out there with no set miles in mind. I knew I'd go at least 4, but whatever was just fine for the week. My goal right now is just keep a minimu m of 25-30 miles per week, with an ultimate goal of hitting 35 to keep me really happy. Well, as of Friday I had 30 for the week, so anything today was icing...I went out and relaized I was pretty much set to hit 7. I maintained a 9:15 pace, not a great one, but it was cool and I am feeling a bit tired, I didn't push anything, just ran trying to keep things feeling good. I'm glad I did it. I was listening to a book. So kept my mind blank, temps are probably low to mid 30s, a slight sun, but not much, but it still felt nice. I'm glad I did it. I definitely feel better about myself for having done it (although could use a nap now) and hopefully that will help me feel good being at work tonight. When I got back, I stretched, used the foam roller on my leg over my IT Band and hamstring, am about to start a late lunch/early dinner and am enjoying a nice cup of hot chocolate while typing this. Reminds me of something else I need to pick up at B&N, some more Godiva hot chocolate...yes, on the weekend, after longer runs, I reward myself with a nice cup of hot chocolate, not the cocoa, made with water, but chocolate, made with milk, and the good Godiva stuff...although I don't know where they think you need 3 tablespoons of the stuff, I put about 3 teaspoons in and that's more than enough!!

3 comments:

MNFirefly said...

It's SO good that you skipped the rest of the game. OH ICK!

Ginger Breadman said...

"Sometimes when you most don't feel like running is the time you need it most" - that is so true! so much lately i feel cranky and don't wanna run, so I'll have to keep your quote in mind. I've never tried running while listening to a book - sounds like a cool idea to keep yourself occupied.

Danielle said...

And that's a really well phrased quote...wow, guess I should re-read before publishing!! I think I meant "sometimes when you really don't feel like running is when you need it the most"...And books on audio are part of what got me back into running. Recommended from a PT as I used the elliptical all the time cause I could read while doing it. I love my books on audio. Sometimes I do want just music, sometimes my books and sometimes nothing, but it's nice to have options. And man have I increased my "reading".