Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Personal Space

Have we reached a place in the US that personal space isn’t an issue anymore? I know in most other countries, close talking and being within “wing span” is kind of normal, but in this country we are still all about our space (which as waistlines are getting larger, it tends to make you wonder when we will have to give up that wing span anyway because there just won’t be an ability for it). This comes to me though as last night a friend and I went to see a movie. We went to the “cheap theater” and it was bargain night (instead of the normal $2 for a ticket it was $1 which brings out people in full force, strange I know, it’s only $1 difference, but whatever). My friend and I were early because I know it can be busy and we chose seats in the middle, on the aisle. This is a theater with one main aisle and probably 8-10 seats deep on each side, so not a huge theater. Anyway, about 10 minutes before the movie starts, a man and woman come to our row and want to sit in it, we move out of the way so they can climb over (my friend was on the aisle and I was next to hear), his wife sits two seats from me and he sits down right next to me. This I found to be quite strange as there was plenty of room for them to leave one seat between myself and them. I mean isn’t it a common kind of “courtesy” thing to not crowd others unless it’s a packed movie theater (which this wasn’t, there were only the 4 of us in this row and only about 1/3 of the movie theater was full). Just weird, weird things…It was a new moon yesterday, maybe I’m giving off a strange aura, the guy running his hand up my ass on Saturday and grabbing it, now a guy having to sit too close to me (which was annoying as then I had to share that arm rest too!!).

Anyway, had a so-so run yesterday afternoon, recovery run to loosen up the legs, actually wasn’t even so-so, the heat and morning workout had zapped me…I ran it in 9:22 average and my runs lately for 4 mile recoveries have usually be 9:00 miles or less, and felt really easy (case in point, this AM’s run was 4 miles at 8:48), it was definitely humid, but I hate to use that excuse. I’m really semi dreading tomorrow’s run…8 mile planned tempo with wanting 6 at marathon pace – 30, which would be 7:45, even 8 minutes I’d be happy with, but just the way I’ve been feeling I don’t know if it will happen. I really have to think it must be the less sleep that is doing it. I’m averaging about 7 hours a night right now and I bet last winter I was averaging at least 8 to 8 ½…

2 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Considering the very ICKY weather, you did awesome. Outdoor running will have to wait until Friday and Saturday for me. I hope that it's not so HOT.

SRR said...

Awww...the endless battle for more sleep!!!