Sunday, March 23, 2008

13 Miler

Alright, I had been thinking 14 all along, maybe even 15, but feeling a little uninspired (I'm doing a fall back on running week this week now) I did do 13. It wasn't too bad. Part of my cutting it shorter was heel pain and glute stuff still. I am going to see the chiro this week!! I managed 42 for the week, today was the 13 miler in 1:57:10...I remember when I wanted to break 2 hours for a half, and now on an easy run, I do that...it's quite interesting. And I know some of you that read this, see the times I post, and think wow, (others are so much faster it's not even funny!) look at those times, but I'm telling you, 9 minute easy runs weren't the norm for me when I first got back to running. (after a long break, high school track and then back at it seriously again in 2002) I remember when 10 minute miles seemed fast...so seriously...it just takes running...running...and more running...
And of course running is something not everyone understands. Most people think it’s pure insanity. But as my mileage gets longer. And I’m able to run further. I can go further from home. I can explore other areas. I can see new views, new neighborhoods. I think it’s part of what keeps me running. Knowing I see something new every time. Knowing I can see new places. Explore new things. All in ways I never would see or notice in my car, going to just get from point A to point B. Running is different. Running I see so much more. Like the 4-5 deer running across backyards (I live in the burbs, but not THAT far out into the burbs). Or seeing a fox, or a doe and her 3, yes, count them 3, fawns that I saw one year. I see the first signs of spring (although right now they are not out there. Damn snow! Hence more spring pics) when the buds are small and you can’t notice them from the car. I can smell the blooming flowers. I can enjoy scenery. Listen to my music. Nod at other runners, and know that only they understand why I’m out there. It’s like a secret society that so few of us see and understand. Ah…isn’t it fun being insane?

4 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Great run! I knew that you could do it!!

Molly said...

I might not have flowers after all...snowed here this morning - whan will it end!
Great run and great words!
Take Care

Dori said...

Great post! I'm able to appreciate my surroundings so much more when I run. Ten minute miles still seems fast, but you give me hope. :-)

Kurt said...

Speed is always relative. In the end your running for yourself regardless. Good run!