Monday, January 22, 2007

Decision Time

I said in January I would make a decision on any marathons I might run this year, that is if I was even going to run one. I've been maintaining my mileage (long runs of up to 15 miles, mileage in the lower 30s to mid 40s), keeping up with running 5-6 days, even 7 at times in a week. I am definitely at a good base and ready for any new challenges this year. I've been mulling things in my mind, and my registration form came in the mail on Saturday (I didn't actually get it till Sunday as I didn't get the mail on Saturday). I have it filled out, I have a few potential options on places to stay if no hotels open up (they are full right now, but things usually come open as people change their minds, they just book well in advance to keep options open), I just have to write the check and put it in an envelope...once I do that, I'm committed...if I don't do that soon, the marathon will fill up. Of course if I didn't get in, there is a 2nd option that would use the same training time and plan...I always said I didn't want to repeat a course. If I'm going to run 26.2 miles, I want to do it in different places...but then again, I think I decided it was the optimal course for my goal this year. And if not, it's perfect timing to have my backup plan...(or two)...

I think I am going to do it though. I need a goal. I need a race. I need a plan. And I need to get some of the stupid thoughts and ideas from last weekend out of my head!! A new focus. It will keep me from going out as often, which is honestly a good thing. (not that I consider going out once a week all that often)

So....I guess Grandma's it is...I just wrote the check.

Tonight I'll be refining my training schedule (I'm going to use Pfitzinger's 18 weeks, 55 miles or less slightly modified because I want a few weeks a little higher than 55 miles and I'm at 20 weeks right now and I want to get started on a training plan this week), locating the tune-up races I want to put in (one or two of them are already in place) and working more on lossening up this damn hamstring so everything will be a go in June...

3 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Congrads on registering for Grandma's! I am still thinking about doing the half-marathon if I get on the lottery.

JustRun said...

woohoo! Makes me want to register for the marathon I want to do, too. So far, I'm only registered for a half this year. I need to get on it.

Kurt said...

Send me your training plan. I want to see what your doing and lets go over it.

Your going to do well!